Monday, February 15

Valentines Dinner from Julia Child

BEEF BOURGUIGNON
3Tbs cooking oil
4 Pounds trimmed beef chuck, cut into 2-inch cubes
salt and pepper
2C sliced onions
1C sliced carrots
1 Bottle red wine
2C beef stock
1C chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned
1 medium herb bouquet
Beurre Manie for the sauce: 3Tbs flour blended to a paste with 2Tbs butter

HERB BOUQUET: 6 parsley springs, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp dried tyme, 3 whole cloves, 2 cloves of smashed unpeeled garlic together in washed cheesecloth.

Choose a large frying pan(cast iron) and brown the chunks of meat on all sides in hot oil. Season with salt and pepper.

Remove all but a little fat from pan, add the onions and carrots and brown them,

P.S. DON'T ADD THE TOMATOES YET}
then add the meat. Deglaze the pan with wine, pourning it into the casserole along with enough stock to cover the meat.

Stir in the tomatoes and add the herb bouquet. Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer slowly, either on the stove or in the oven at 325* until the meat is tender. (I did mine for 3hours.)
Drain through a colander set over a saucepan and return the meat to the pot. Boil down the liquid to 3 Cups.

Off the heat mix in the beurre manie, then simmer until the sauce thickens lightly. Correct the seasoning and pour over the meat.

Enjoy...BON APPETIT!
Photobucket

4 comments:

Kristen said...

wow that looks fabulous! I want to tackle that cook book but it's these types of recipes that take so much time and thought that I get scared to even try!

Kim said...

Look at you go!

Rach said...

I'm impressed! you are so domestic--it looked great--did it taste great too?!

Jill said...

looks yummy! hey here is that site with the soap I told you about. http://mirandawalker.blogspot.com/2010/01/tutorial-felted-soap.html